Welcome to the League of Women Voters of Riverside
Serving the City of Riverside as We Make Democracy Work
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
June 7, 2016 Riverside County Semi-Official Election Results
June 7, 2016 California State Semi-Official Election Results
Riverside's next election is General Election on November 8, 2016
Any eligible Californian who has access to the Internet and a California drivers license or ID signature on file with the DMV can now register to vote on-line.
LWV Riverside recommends a 'No' Vote on Measure A
Measure A is a Charter Amendment on the June ballot that will create an Office of City Prosecutor within the City Attorney's Office. The new office will prosecute misdemeanor crimes for the City of Riverside, a task currently performed by the Riverside County District Attorney's Office. The amendment was proposed by the City Council.
There is no disagreement that this complex amendment will create a new charter office at significant expense. Yet, no Charter Review Committee was empanelled to publicly vet the amendment, it was not reviewed by any City Council Committee, and it was discussed at only one City Council session, wherein a 4-3 vote sent the amendment to the June ballot.
Key to our decision is the fact that citizens were denied the benefits of a Charter Review Committee. Instead, the City chose to circumvent a public process, fast track the amendment to the ballot, and leave several vital questions unanswered. For these reasons, our Board was compelled to recommend a 'no' vote on the measure.
Please see our rebuttal ballot statement and visit the 'No on Measure A' Facebook page.
Vote with the League ~ YES on Prop 50
We support Proposition 50 on the June 7 ballot!
- This constitutional amendment would give each house of the Legislature clear authority to suspend, with a two-thirds vote, a member and withhold pay and benefits.
- Prop 50 is a straightforward way for lawmakers to hold their own colleagues accountable for breaching the publicís trust.
- Such actions are highly unusual. Over the years, five senators have been expelled, and several senators accused of corruption resigned in 1985. The Assembly has never suspended or expelled a membe
Renew Your Membership with Riverside's League of Women Voters
All the good work we do is largely supported by membership dues: non-partisan voter education publications and websites, candidate forums, voter registration drives, and advocacy for equitable public policies at the national, state and local level.
Be a part of making democracy work. Download this form and join or renew your membership in LWV Riverside.
Join us! LWV California members at State Convention If you would rather donate to our League, it is greatly appreciated.
The League's purpose is to encourage citizens to take part in their government.
The League is interested in helping citizens become more informed and learn the many ways to influence government on state, national and local levels.
The League is a non-partisan organization that believes responsible government should be resposive to the will of the people, mindful that a democratic government depends on the informed and active participation of its citizens.
News and Events
League of Women Voters Riverside holds Board Meetings from August through May on the second Thursday of the month at 10:00 am. Please contact us for more details. Our next Board Meeting is Thursday, September 8, 2016
Join the League and you will...
- be a member of the local, state and national League;
- have the respect of your community;
- foster dialogue on issues you care about;
- ensure ALL votes are counted and ALL voices are heard;
- preserve our constitutional rights;
- stay informed via extensive League resources;
- or simply know that your support adds to our grassroots strength and our financial resources, making democracy work!